Plein Air Duluth: Paint du Nord 2017
Festival: July 9-14 with Exhibition: July 15 - August 2017
Submission Deadline: April 15, 2017
The Duluth Art Institute is now accepting submissions for the third annual "Plein Air Duluth: Paint du Nord." Up to 40 artists from around the country will be selected. Featured artists will paint in Duluth and environs July 9 - 14, 2017, and may then display up to three pieces of their choice (framed and 18" x 24" or under). Prizes will be awarded during the opening reception on Friday evening, July 15.
- Enter four images that are representative of your work.
- Label your Images with: Name, Title, Dimensions and Medium. For example: Dugan01.jpg-Untitled-9" x 12"-Oil/watercolor/pastel/other
- All entry materials must be received by April 15, 2017
- Acceptance: Artists will be notified of their acceptance May 1, 2017. Those accepted will be provided with more event details.
Questions? Contact Exhibition Director Catherine Meier
218-733-7565 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Exhibition Program
We seek to create exhibition programming that represents a diversity of voices, mediums and artists at different stages in their career in order to foster a program that is accessible, reflective, and responsive to our community and region.
The Duluth Art Institute does not maintain a permanent collection of artwork. We are interested in process as well as final product. We are interested in exploring the challenging questions and concerns of our community and the broader world and gaining understanding of the role visual arts can play in our humanity.
History and Context
The Duluth Art Institute exhibition program is built on a long history of supporting artists and the arts in our community. Starting in 1897 with the first art club organized by Bishop McGolrick, an early settler of the area, who saw the support of artists as vital to a great city, and continuing throughout the political, societal, and economic shifts of the twentieth century, the Duluth Art Institute has worked to make sure that art is available and accessible for all citizens of our community.
Our exhibition programming reflects a regional consciousness that values fine art and fine craft as well as the artists and artisans that create them. We pride ourselves in exhibiting a diversity of voices and mediums, and want to function as a space for artists to take risks, explore ideas, and reveal the everyday inventiveness and intellectualism of the people, and the art, of our region.
Our region is home to people of numerous cultures, customs, and interests – from the Aanishinabe who first lived here and continue to inhabit the area – to early Scandinavian and European settlers, to the individuals and groups young and old who still venture north to inhabit, work, or play in this exquisitely beautiful place. We believe our exhibitions should be both a voice and a mirror for the rich human and cultural tapestry that is this place, and of art that speaks to us and contributes to our cultural conversation.
Call for submissions
The Duluth Art Institute maintains a robust exhibition program featuring a rotating schedule of shows. Exhibition proposals will be reviewed by a panel composed of artists, curators, arts professionals, and arts-engaged citizens.
We seek exhibition proposals from artists that:
- bear an original or authentic voice
- convey a clear concept, idea, or present a cohesive body of work
- demonstrate a mastery of chosen materials or displays an outstanding level of artistic quality
- uphold a high level of professionalism
Open call for submissions is twice per year. Applications for our first round are due April 1, with exhibition programming selected for May 2018 through December of 2018. Accepted artists will have approximately one year to develop their show.
- Work Samples (10 images or up to 3 minutes of video or audio of work completed in the last 5 years)
- Artist Statement (up to 500 words)
- Exhibition Proposal (optional, up to 500 words)
- Artist Resume (2 pages max)
Please contact Catherine Meier, Exhibition Coordinator, at email@example.com